Whatever the fish were diverse, but they can not live without oxygen. This concept does not mean the absence of respiration, but the ability to live in water with low oxygen content. In nature, these are stagnant waters of marshland, rice fields, closed reservoirs. Similar conditions arise in small aquariums that are not equipped with filtration and aeration systems. Only unpretentious small fishes will approach here.
What fish can live without aeration (oxygen)
Some fish that do not need a high oxygen content in water are able to use atmospheric air for breathing due to the presence of specific organs or another method (gill labyrinth, intestinal or skin respiration).
Many fish will survive without artificial oxygen supply, but only with an open aquarium! Without access to air, fish with additional respiratory organs die. Therefore, the surface of the water should not be completely covered with plants.
Fish that can live without oxygen
Without a filter
Such are the slider or labyrinth fish, which in the course of evolution developed additional labyrinthic bone plates with folds of the mucous membrane, thanks to which they are also able to use the air for breathing in an aquarium without oxygen. Aeration for such fish is optional!
By the labyrinth include:
- cockerels (fighting fish, betta);
- all gourami;
- lyalius and others.
Popular kissing, pearl, marble, gold, spotty. Check it is not necessary, but live 6 – 8 hours without water. Friendly, curious, playful.
Of the recommendations common to most gourami:
- aquarium length not less than half a meter;
- volume from 50 l;
- spawn in floating plants;
- mandatory shelter, the availability of space for free movement, games;
- dark soil emphasizes beauty, motley, bright color fidget;
- not picky in nutrition. The menu should be varied. Delight them with vegetable, dry, living dishes. It is not recommended to overfeed.
- make friends with laliusi, other peaceful labyrinth, reeds.
Lyalius is shy. In flocks of three individuals feel more confident. They live about 2-3 years. The following conditions are comfortable:
- aquarium volume from 15 – 20 l;
- for spawning need thickets in the corners of the reservoir;
- Do not belong to gourmets, but monotony in feeding is destructive. Balance the protein food with the vegetable;
- prefer calm, not aggressive neighbors, for example, guppies.
Cockerel betta lives a little, but bright.
Aggressive teasers are ready to destroy a weak, shallow, clumsy relative.
- on one fish 5-10 l liquids;
- living, artificial plants, decor items are necessary for spawning and shelter from an aggressive male;
- consume a variety of food, not picky. Special mixes are sold for cockerels;
- with labyrinths do not get along.
Lyabiozy large quiet. The purple color of the male speaks of his excitement. Suitable for multiple breeding. On the conditions of detention:
- 10 liters of water per representative;
- love algae (echinodorus, elodea, cryptocoryne);
- special attention to temperature water ( 25 28 degrees);
- suitable small diverse food;
- how many peace-loving fish can not tolerate restless aggressors.
Macropods – hardy look.
Prolific long-livers. Resistant to spoiled water, cold. Puffy, do not tolerate small neighbors. The most bad character in black representatives. The owner of the reservoirs – one of the first types of European aquarium.
Filtering is considered mandatory. Experience shows it is not.
Easily divorced in aquariums.
Read more about the habitat:
- exist, but do not grow even in a three-liter jar;
- omnivores – suitable vegetable, protein food;
- as the soil, use coarse sand, expanded clay, small pebbles. Narrow decorative shelters will not fit – the macro-casters do not know how to move backwards, they will get stuck, they will die.
- It is desirable to add a plant covering the surface of the water (cabbage, duckweed);
- cover required, not blocking access to atmospheric air;
- average light level;
- not recommended for general aquarium with small defenseless fish.
Acantoftalmus of the family of loaches deserves care efforts. Striped serpentine pets are distinguished by their peace-loving disposition and passion for solitude.
They know how to stand up for themselves. They have a sharp thorn under their eyes. It is convenient to pave the way in the sand, soft ground. An indispensable defensive weapon. Predators break through the stomach, sometimes open up the stomach, get out.
- feel comfortable in small ponds;
- it is necessary to provide shelters in the form of kriagy, stones, castles;
- They do not need a special diet – microorganisms from the soil are suitable, waste from the rest of the population. Indulge with live, frozen delicacies;
- can jump out – the presence of a cover is required
- difficult breeding, subject to a professional;
- get along with almost everyone.
Clipping ordinary – home barometer.
Restless behavior will indicate the approaching bad weather. Unpretentious:
- for breeding suitable reservoir volume 10 l;
- no sharp decorations;
- use coarse and shallow soil;
- temperature range from 3 to 30 degrees;
- food is standard. Suggest – pinching will show what you like.
- the harmless fish prefers the same neighbors.
Loachworm and tropical catfish are capable of drawing air into a particular part of the intestine. Bag-haired catfish and Clarius are used for breathing by the jabber cavity. These amazing animals can live for a long time not only without oxygen, but also without water. In nature, they thus move from one reservoir to another.
Bottom catfishes are most popular with aquarists, for example, speckled catfish. Usually they serve as “orderlies” of household ponds, eliminating food debris. But, as bottom dwellers, they contribute to raising the suspension from the bottom, muddy water. In an aquarium densely populated with catfish, filtration is necessary.
Most fish use skin breathing. In inhabitants of stagnant bodies of water with warm water, this figure can reach 80% versus the usual 10–20%. Even less demanding to aerate the young. This is soma, eels.
For fish that need a filter, but can do without aeration include:
The necessary conditions
Aquariums without filtration and aeration require more thorough care, including:
- initially competent selection of pets, taking into account the species characteristics (aggressiveness, size, habitat conditions);
- regular cleaning with a siphon;
- partial water change every 2–3 days;
- tight control of the number of inhabitants to avoid overcrowding;
- timely thinning of the aquarium flora to prevent overgrowing of the domestic pond;
- careful monitoring of the condition of pets for the timely identification of problems and diseases.
Lack of oxygen
There are only a few phenotypes for an aquarium for which a small percentage of atmospheric gas is not critical. They are characterized by endurance, ease of care. Experienced aquarists distinguish several phenotypes for which the percentage of air in the aquarium water is not critical.
- Representatives of the family of bindlings (catfish, some loaches). Aquarium fish enjoy atmospheric air. For absorption, it rises to the upper layer of water, after which it gradually descends to the substrate.
- Labyrinth phenotypes that can breathe liquefied gas. In these species, a special respiratory system, which is presented in the form of a gill maze. At the same time, they absorb air masses in the same way as previous species.
Beginners are interested in which fish can live without oxygen. After learning about the above phenotypes that do not need oxygen, they almost completely block access to air. This entails the death of the fauna in the tank.
On a note
Most labyrinth fish do not pose any problems in their content. The volume of their place of residence is not particularly important. Like fish that do not need oxygen, they suggest some conditions of their maintenance:
- The temperature of the aquarium water should be 24-27 ° C.
- The soil used should preferably be of a dark color – this enhances the color of the labyrinth fish, which emphasizes their beauty.
- For females of this family, dense vegetation is needed, so that there is where to hide from aggressive males.
Labyrinth fish are not particularly picky to feed and willingly eat both live food and dry or frozen.
Keeping them together with representatives of another or one’s own fish species is often problematic. Many adults (often males) show aggression towards the fish of their own species. Especially often this happens when the volume of the aquarium is small.
In order for peace and tranquility in an aquarium, the water must be “old”; water replacement provokes the breeding instinct and causes aggression.