The habitat of fish and any other types of aquatic pets should be cleaned regularly to maintain their health and the formation of the correct microflora. To understand how to clean the aquarium at home, you must have experience and listen to the recommendations of experts.
How to clean the aquarium?
There is no single rule for the care of a tank in which fish, shrimps or turtles live. Its main goal is to preserve the natural habitat for its residents and to preserve the aesthetic beauty of the aquarium. Before you get acquainted with the recommendations of how often you need to clean the aquarium, it is important to remember the basic principles of this procedure:
How to clean the aquarium with fish?
Balanced housing for fish will help prevent the growth of algae and the multiplication of pathogenic bacteria. Purification conditions differ based on whether fresh or salt water is poured into the tank. Given this, experienced breeders give a number of recommendations on how to wash an aquarium with fish:
How to clean the aquarium with shrimp?
The capacity in which the shrimp live is called the shrimp. Its main problem is the turbidity of water through the appearance of a yellow shade. In this case, it is not enough to know how often the aquarium should be cleaned, because it is much more important to find out the cause of duckweed and yellowness. The most common causes for contamination of the shrimp are:
- accumulation of small debris under the bottom layer of soil;
- no use of the siphon when cleaning;
- planting overgrown plants.
How to wash a turtle tank?
Aquaterrarium with a water-tortoise involves cleaning at least once a month, because it reacts sensitively to the composition of drinking water. It’s not so important to decide how to clean a small aquarium or a large aquarium, how to take into account the state of health of the animal. A sluggish, recently acquired or shy turtle cannot be disturbed by washing its place of residence until recovery. For all others, the following algorithm works:
How to wash the aquarium – the basic rules
Every detail of the aquarium space involves its own means and regularity of washing. There are basic postulates of fish habitat care:
- Before settling new fish or transferring old pets to a new home, the tank must be washed and at the same time inspected for chips and cracks.
- Before you think about how to clean the aquarium siphon, you need to solve the problem with the other detergents. It is worth starting with natural remedies.
- If dangerous fungi settle in the aquarium, the fish will be quarantined and washed with hot water and detergent.
How to clean the soil in the aquarium?
Shallow soil is easier to replace with a new one than to arrange a total cleaning every 2-3 months. Large elements of the coating are washed once a week with a siphon, and once every six months they are soaked in a bucket with the addition of water and liquid soap, after which they are boiled and washed again. If there are large plants in the aquarium, they are carefully transferred to the jar so as not to harm the root system. It is better not to disturb small hydrophytes, but simply not to direct a siphon jet at them. It is not enough to be interested in how to clean the soil in an aquarium with plants – it is easier to exclude its frequent pollution. It is promoted by:
- excessive lighting;
- excess feed in the tank;
- lack of filtration and aeration;
- putrid fungi in the substrate.
How to clean the bottom of the aquarium?
When all parts from the bottom are removed, it can be easily cleaned from the garbage with a siphon. It is a tube that sucks or erodes dirt under the pressure of a jet of water. When deciding how to clean the bottom of the aquarium with a siphon, you need to select the optimally suitable type of device. The mechanical siphon is more reliable, but slow, because water is manually drawn into it, each time the pear is pressed. Electric models are noisy, but they pump in water quickly and are sometimes equipped with garbage containers.
How to clean the glass in the aquarium?
Slime accumulates on the walls of the container, especially if there are live plants in the water. Due to the fact that high-grade cleaning is carried out relatively rarely, an effective but safe fixture is required to care for the glasses. If you also consider how to clean the built-in aquarium, which is considered the most popular, then the selection of the tool is an impossible task. Surprisingly, they can be a simple algae scraper, provided that they are properly used:
- Use of household gloves. Before you wear them, you should make sure that they are not in contact with hazardous chemicals.
- Cleansing with a tough economic sponge. Corner elements are wiped with a sponge, which has not been previously used for washing dishes.
- Removal of plaque with a plastic card. There is also an express advice on how to clean the aquarium at home, if mucus has accumulated on the glass. On it you need to vigorously 2-3 times hold a wide edge of the old plastic card, replacing the hard scraper.
How to clean a round aquarium?
Round capacity is a little more difficult to maintain due to the lack of angles. Its advantage can be considered as a quick transplant of fish, because they contain 2-3 individuals maximum. To imagine how to properly clean the aquarium with fish, if it is round, you need to purchase some accessories: soft foam sponges, a brush with a corner handle, a hinged scraper, a silicone scraper nozzle to prevent clouding. Use them in the following order:
- First, all decorations and equipment are removed from the aquarium. In a round container they are mounted on suckers, from which traces remain on the walls of the container.
- Having moistened a sponge with water and a washing liquid, it is necessary to wipe with pressure those areas where suckers were installed.
- The walls of the aquarium clockwise are wiped with a scraper with a silicone tip attached to it.
How to wash equipment and accessories in the aquarium?
Since the aquarium consists not only of glass surfaces, but also of additional accessories, they need special conditions for removing dirt and deposits. Jewelry, filters, heaters, air pump, thermometer – each of these elements is designed for delicate handling during cleaning. Learning how to clean an aquarium with such details is not as difficult as it looks from the side:
- The filter, heater and water plastic pump are removed before washing and cleaned with a warm soapy solution, if necessary using a sponge or scraper to remove mucus.
- Thermometer – detail of increased danger. It is impossible to find out how to properly clean the aquarium at home, without realizing how dangerous it is. If it contains a mercury meter, the thermometer is gently wiped with a sponge with soda or natural soap.
- Jewelry and decorative stones are easily removed from the container and soaked for several hours in a strong solution of salt and soap. Then they need to rinse and dry with a towel.
How to wash corals from the aquarium?
If snags and stones become covered with mucus, the corals change their color from white to gray or brown-yellow when contaminated. Particles of food and soil settle on them – the porous surface of the ornament makes washing the accessory difficult. Realizing that many will be interested in how to clean the aquarium at home, if it contains corals, experts recommend using such tools for cleaning:
- Hydrogen peroxide. In the case of severe oxidation of coral, it is collected in a spray in its pure form and is flushed under pressure, with a slight amount it is mixed with water in a ratio of 1: 4.
- White. It can be used to wash only 1-2 times over the entire life of the coral, because from it its surface becomes brittle.
- Soap nuts. They are used on the principle of washing powder with boiling corals in solution.
How to wash the aquarium before starting?
Issues associated with the launch of a new capacity, arise only among beginner breeders. They buy everything at once – fish, plants, soil, so they strive to fill it with water as soon as possible. It is impossible to do this before primary processing. Tips will help you to understand how to clean a new aquarium:
- Refusing to use chemicals. Inexperienced owners sometimes try to wash it with dishwashing or ceramics.
- Natural or safe detergents. Soap nuts, soda or dry mustard are optimal. They do not leave films and are easily washed off with both cool and warm water.
- Accounting design aquarium. If it is assembled on a frame, water sedimentation will be required. Capacity is collected completely for 2-3 days in order to clean and check for leaks.
How often to clean the aquarium?
The regularity of removing debris and mucus from the walls of a container depends on its volume, the number of occupants and other factors. Excessive diligence here can play a cruel joke, because each relocation to a different capacity and the use of new detergents – extra stress for aquatic inhabitants. Before you think about how often you need to wash the aquarium, you need to consider these aspects:
- The presence in the aquarium dwellers – "cleaners". Somiki-antsistrusy and some types of snails play the role of a natural filter for the remnants of food and waste products of other pets double the life of a clean container.
- Litrage fish habitat. A large aquarium of 200-300 liters is subject to general cleaning every 1-1.5 years, and a quick one every 7-10 days. It is gradually added new water, partially replacing it. The capacity of 50-100 liters is cleaned every six months, using a siphon – once every 2 months. Understanding how to clean a small aquarium at home will help with the presence or absence of plants in it. If it is devoid of vegetation, it is washed twice less often – once every two weeks.
- The quality of the soil. The substrate with the addition of fine gravel or sand makes the water turbid, so it must be sieved periodically during washing.