At first glance it may seem that the fish – the most unpretentious pets. But this is not quite true: such pets are very demanding to the living conditions. In particular, in order for the fish to feel comfortable, it is imperative to take care of the oxygenation of water. For this purpose, a water pump is installed in the aquarium. How to choose it?
Vibrating or piston air pump for the aquarium: how to choose?
Any aquarium inlet pump is an air pump designed for aeration. There are two main approaches to the implementation of this idea:
- Vibration (membrane) models. The device works due to oscillations of the magnet transmitted to the elastic membrane (as a rule, rubber is used as a material for it). Due to this, pressure drops inside the small chamber, tightly connected to the membrane. From this "compartment" the air moves in the direction of the aquarium.
- Piston models. At the heart of the design is an electric motor that drives a piston pump. Rotational movements of the motor shaft turn into oscillatory, thereby achieving the desired power to supply air.
The advantages and disadvantages of both types of devices are:
- relatively low power consumption
- undemanding in operation
- noisy work
- small resource
- high power
- maximum quiet work
- high cost
- increased energy consumption
More widespread vibratory vodushnye pumps. The low cost allowed them to take a strong position in the niche of the hobby class, and the well-thought-out design provides high-quality water saturation with oxygen. But it should be understood – such devices function due to vibration, which always acts as a source of noise. There is no completely silent membrane devices. At best, the manufacturer may try to lower the volume level as much as possible, but such tricks automatically lead to price increases.
If you don’t want to overpay for a “quiet” vibrating water pump, you should try to solve the problem yourself. For example, you can put a piece of foam under the device, or you can put an aerator in another room where no one is resting.
Piston models are more often purchased by people who are seriously involved in aquarism and can allocate a significant amount to acquire a powerful device. Such devices are classified as professional and able to cope with any home aquarium.
Which aquarium inlet pump to choose the type of power?
Most often, air pumps (both piston and diaphragm) are powered from the network – this is a classic option. But what to do if the electricity often disappears for a long time? Or do you need to carry fish over a considerable distance?
Like almost any other device, the air pump for the aquarium has a mobile version designed to operate in the absence of electricity. Such a device works on batteries and can be both vibration and piston. The device has a relatively high cost and significant noise while maintaining low power.
Mobile vodushnye pumps on batteries – a good compact option for cases when you can not get to the network. For example, while trading fish at a non-electrified point. The use of such aerators at home is impractical: they "eat" a lot of energy, with the result that the battery pack lasts about 4-6 hours.
If there is no urgent need to disconnect the water pump from electricity, it is better to buy a network model.
How to choose an air pump for the aquarium on the main parameters
Acquisition of a water pump requires careful study of the presented model range. Special attention should be paid to such characteristics:
- Performance. The main parameter describing the amount of air that a water pump is capable of overtaking for a certain time period. There are different opinions about the optimal value, first of all it depends on the type of fish bred and the density of the population of the aquarium. Traditionally, the minimum capacity is 0.5-0.8 l / h per liter of “can” volume. For example, for a 100-liter aquarium you will need an aerator for 50-80 l / h, for a 300-liter – for 150-240 l / h. But the presence of a biofilter in the "bank" increases the minimum requirements by 1.5-2 times.
- Noise level. It should be understood that this characteristic depends not only on the type of construction, but also on the manufacturer. Moreover, tempting descriptions (for example, “completely silent water pump”) do not guarantee that the device will actually work quietly. It is advisable to check the device yourself, preferably in a quiet room. It is necessary to take into account your own preferences: what seems too loud to one does not bother the other person at all.
- Power. It determines the degree of energy consumption and affects the performance, as well as the maximum possible depth of immersion of the sprayer. Mostly on the market are models for 2-11 watts. The deeper the sprayer, the more powerful the device should be purchased.
- The number of channels. The presence of two or more channels makes it possible to connect the water pump to several aquariums at once.
- The volume of the aquarium. Manufacturers, as a rule, designate the “banks” of what size is the water pump designed for. It is worth listening to this recommendation.