we do the self-made check valve (air and for water)
Operation of pipelines for various purposes assumes that the liquid and gaseous media that are transported through them must move in a certain direction. By making a check valve with your own hands or by purchasing its serial model, you can meet this requirement of operating the pipeline and its equipment, which will allow them to be maintained in a healthy state for a long time.
Submersible Pump Check Valve
Purpose and principle of operation of the device
Reverse flow in pipeline systems can occur for a variety of reasons. If we are talking about liquid media, such a reason could be a pump shutdown, and in the case of ventilation, improper installation of the exhaust pipe or a small amount of incoming air. Whatever the cause of the reverse flow of the working medium in the pipeline system, this phenomenon is extremely undesirable, since it can lead not only to the incorrect operation of the elements of such a system, but also to their failure.
To prevent the formation of a return flow in the pipeline system, as mentioned above, check valves are installed on it, which can differ both in their appearance and dimensions, and in their design. The main function of such a device that is installed on pipelines, through which liquid and gaseous media are transported, is to let the workflow pass in one direction and block its movement at the moment when it begins to move in the opposite direction.
Ball check valve device
The design of check valves, regardless of their type, is made up of the following elements:
- a casing whose interior is formed by two communicating cylinders;
- the locking element, which can act as a ball, sash or cylindrical valve;
- a spring that presses the locking element to the seat, located at the outlet of the valve throughput.
The principle of the check valve is quite simple and consists in the following.
- After the flow of the working medium entering the valve reaches the required pressure, the spring pressing the closure element is pressed, allowing gas or liquid to pass freely through the internal cavity of the device.
- If the pressure of the flow of the working medium in the pipeline drops, then the spring returns the locking element to the closed state, blocking the flow in the opposite direction.
Disassembled Poppet Check Valve
On the modern market there are many check valves of various types, which allows you to select such devices to solve specific goals. Meanwhile, many homemade craftsmen, guided by the natural desire to save money, make check valves with their own hands and share drawings and diagrams of their homemade products on the Internet.
Independent manufacture of check valve for water
Self-made check valve for installation on the pipeline through which water is transported does not require expensive consumables and sophisticated equipment in the manufacture, which makes it possible to save well. So, to independently make a check valve, you need to prepare:
- the coupling, on the case of which the external thread is cut;
- tee with internal thread;
- a spring whose diameter allows it to freely enter the tee;
- steel ball, the diameter of which is slightly smaller than the cross section of the internal cavity in the tee;
- screw plug;
- sealing tape FUM.
A spring, if you have not found one that is suitable in diameter, can also be made by yourself, using a rod of the corresponding diameter and a hard steel wire. In the rod, on which the homemade spring will coil, it is necessary to drill a hole, the end of the wire will be inserted into it. In order to wind the spring more conveniently, the rod can be clamped in a vise, and the wire winding itself can be performed using pliers.
Scheme homemade check valve for water
After all materials for the manufacture of homemade check valve are prepared, you can proceed to the assembly, which is performed in the following sequence.
- The coupling is screwed into the internal threaded hole of the tee. This is done in such a way that it blocks the side opening by approximately 2 mm. Fulfilling such a requirement when tightening the coupling is necessary so that the ball, which will be located in the inner part of the tee, does not jump into its side opening.
- In the hole located on the opposite side of the tee, the ball is first inserted, and then the spring.
- The hole in the tee, in which the ball and the spring were inserted, is plugged with a threaded plug that is twisted using a FUM tape.
The check valve manufactured according to the proposed scheme will work as follows: the flow of water entering such a device from the coupling side will push the ball pressed by the spring and exit through the perpendicular opening of the tee.
The most important thing in the manufacture of a non-return valve of the proposed design is to correctly adjust the spring so that it does not deflect when the water pressure in the pipeline decreases, and at the same time it is not too tight so as not to impede the flow of water passing through the device. In addition, it is necessary to perform all threaded connections in a very high quality in order to ensure absolute tightness of the check valve.
The check valve can also be made from a polypropylene tube and fitting. The manufacturing process is very simple and is shown in the photo below.
How to make a check valve for ventilation systems
The question of how to make a check valve for equipping a ventilation system is no less relevant than the manufacture of such a device for plumbing or sewage. By installing a check valve in the ventilation system, you will reliably protect your home from polluted and cold air entering the system from outside.
The simplest vent check valve is a piece of flexible material placed on the grill, but this design will not work with natural exhaust.
It should be noted that the check valve of the proposed design, when compared with serial models, is no less effective and can successfully serve you for two or three years.
A more advanced design consists of two movable flaps fixed on the sides of the ventilation grille.
So, the manufacture of a homemade check valve to equip the ventilation system is performed in the following sequence.
- First of all, it is necessary to make the main element of the check valve – a plate on which the sash will be fixed. To create such a plate, which is cut out strictly according to the shape and dimensions of the ventilation duct, you can use sheet textolite or other strong plastic with a thickness of 3-5 mm.
- Along the edges of the sawn plate, it is necessary to drill holes, with the help of which it will be connected to the fan and fixed in the exhaust duct. In addition, the holes must be drilled in the central part of the plate. This is necessary so that air can pass through it freely. The capacity of your ventilation system will depend on how many holes you drill in such a plate.
- The plate, using a sealant and sealing gasket, should be fixed in the exhaust pipe. Under the place where the plate will be fixed with screws, you also need to put rubber gaskets. This will reduce noise and vibration in your ventilation system.
- According to the shape and size of the plate, a piece of dense film is cut, the thickness of which should be at least 0.1 mm. From the film, which is glued to the plate along its edge, the flaps of a homemade check valve will be formed later.
- An exhaust pipe in which a plate with a film pasted on it has already been installed must be installed in the ventilation duct, using for this purpose dowels or self-tapping screws. After installing a non-return valve in the vent, reliably seal the gaps between the channel walls and the chimney.
The final stage of the installation of a homemade check valve in the ventilation system is cutting the film glued onto the plate into two equal halves. Carrying out such a procedure for which it is best to use a sharp assembly knife, it is necessary to ensure that the cut turned out perfectly smooth.
The principle on which the check valve of the above proposed design works is quite simple and consists in the following.
- Nothing prevents the flow of air that passes through such a valve in the direction from the room: the flaps open and freely let it through.
- When a reverse draft in the ventilation system occurs, the sash of the check valve closes securely, preventing air from entering the room from outside.
Thus, this non-return valve, of a membrane type, reliably protects the ventilated room not only from polluted and cold air, but also from extraneous odors.
Share with friends:
CO2 for aquarium do it yourself
Periodic carbon dioxide supply to the aquarium is necessary because as a result of filtration and aeration, the CO2 content in the water tends to zero. And in such conditions, algae in a fish house can die. You can create a system (or generator) of carbon dioxide with your own hands at home. It is not so difficult.
From school, anyone knows that carbon dioxide, the basis of photosynthesis, is absorbed by plants from the surrounding air. Due to this, in fact, the growth of terrestrial flora occurs. And in the natural aquatic environment the concentration of CO2 is sufficient for the development of aquatic plants.
The same conditions must be created in the aquarium, which is a closed tank. Creating a concentration of carbon dioxide ranging from 3 to 7 milligrams per liter of aqua is a necessary condition for aquarium plants to feel normal. To do this, it is not necessary to acquire industrial carbon dioxide systems.
Drinking sparkling water as a source of carbon dioxide
It is so elementary that many aquarists do not even consider this method of introducing CO2 into aqua. And it is absolutely in vain, by the way.
The usual soda sold everywhere contains a significant dose of carbon dioxide (up to 10,000 milligrams per liter in highly carbonated water).
After opening the bottle a lot of gas comes out instantly, but still a significant part of it remains in the drink – up to 1500 mg / liter.
If in the morning to bring in aquarium water just 20 milliliters of soda per 10 liters of water, then for the aquatic flora this will be enough.
Naturally, this method is only suitable for aquariums of small size, up to 50 liters. In large aquariums, it is no longer possible to do without generating and supplying CO2.
The simplest way to supply carbon dioxide
The main element is a vessel (a two-liter plastic bottle, for example) with ordinary brew. Fermented raw materials are poured into the bottle:
The raw material is filled with 1 liter of water, sugar is not stirred. A tube (hose) is inserted into the bottle cap at one end, and the other end of the tube is lowered into the aquarium water. With the start of the fermentation process, the released carbon dioxide is discharged to the aqua.
To prevent clot mixtures from entering the aquarium, a small plastic bottle can be tied to the main tank and 2 more tubes can be attached so that the gas and fermentation products first fall into the small tank and only then into the aquarium.
This method has significant drawbacks:
- the inability to adjust the amount of carbon dioxide supplied to the aquarium water and the instability of its supply;
- the short duration of such a system is up to 2 weeks.
Do-it-yourself CO2 generator
For the manufacture of a working gas generator with adjustable flow will require a little more materials and labor.
The principle of the installation is the gradual supply of citric acid from one vessel to another, where there is baking soda. The acid is mixed with soda, and the CO2 released as a result of a chemical reaction enters the aquarium tank. Consider the manufacturing process of the stages of work.
Creation of the device
Take two identical liter plastic bottles. In the caps, you must carefully drill a hole through the tree through 2 holes for the subsequent installation of tubes (hoses). One tube with a check valve connects tank No. 1 with tank No. 2.
A tee tube is inserted into the second openings of the caps, one branch of which also has a check valve. Hoses with non-return valves should be inserted into tank No. 2, and a small tap for flow control is installed on the central branch of the tee.
A bottle of soda water is poured into bottle No. 1 (60 g of soda per 100 g of water), and bottle No. 2 is filled with citric acid solution (50 g of acid per 100 g of water). Lids with tubes should be tightly screwed onto the bottle.
All joints and openings must be reliably sealed with resin or silicone to prevent gas leakage. The ends of the first hose must be lowered into the solutions, and the left and right tee tubes must be installed above the level of the solutions — CO2 will pass through them.
Beginning of work
To start the process of generating gas, you need to press on the bottle number 2 (with citric acid). Acid through the first hose enters the soda solution, and the reaction occurs with the release of carbon dioxide. Nozzle check valve prevents soda solution under pressure from entering tank No. 2.
The released gas passes in two directions:
- in a bottle of citric acid, creating pressure for continuous generation,
- in the central pipe tee, through which CO2 enters the aquarium.
By means of the faucet it is possible to regulate the gas flow. If instead of a self-made tee to use hoses from a medical dropper, then an additional counter of gas bubbles will appear, which is very convenient for creating an accurate concentration of CO2 in aquarium water.
Some owners of ornamental fish using an adapter attach the exhaust hose to the outlet of the internal filter. In this case, carbon dioxide diffuses, and it is better absorbed by plants.
There are also ways to supply CO2 from special gas cylinders or using fire extinguishers. Individual craftsmen implement such methods.
However, all actions with cylinders under pressure are considered a dangerous type of work, and at home without a certain qualification they are not recommended.
The nutrition of aquatic flora with carbon dioxide is the key to their normal growth and life. To ensure this process at home, a minimum of available material is enough, a bit of perseverance and very little financial expenses.
Related video: creating a CO2 reactor for the aquarium with your own hands.
Everything about CO2 for an aquarium
What is CO2, why is CO2 needed for an aquarium?
CO2 is the gas that aquarium plants need. Plants are 50% carbon. Under natural conditions, the concentration of CO2 in water ranges from 15-40 mg / l. But in the aquarium, this figure tends to zero, even though the fish and other inhabitants of the aquarium produce it in the process of life, but in very small quantities. The very mechanism of CO2 consumption by plants is in the process of photosynthesis. Photosynthesis – the process of converting the energy of light into the energy of chemical bonds of organic substances in the light by photo autotrophs with the participation of photosynthetic pigments (chlorophyll in plants, bacteriochlorophyll and bacteriorhodopsin in bacteria). In modern plant physiology, photosynthesis is more often understood as a photoautotrophic function — a combination of the processes of absorption, transformation, and use of the energy of light quanta in various energonic reactions, including the conversion of carbon dioxide into organic matter.
Simply put, plants undergo the process of converting water (H2O) and carbon dioxide (CO2) under the action of sunlight, to an energy-rich organic compound, glucose (C6H12O6). The formula of photosynthesis can be represented as follows:
6СO2 6h3O = С6Н12O6 (glucose) 6O2
In the dark there is a reverse process:
C6H12O6 6O2 = 6CO2 6h3O
From the above we can conclude that CO2: – This is the main building material of the plant organism! The plants in the aquarium, with a competent supply of CO2, become: beautiful and healthy, fast-growing. – In the process of photosynthesis, plants produce oxygen O2! This process is popularly called bubbling or perling plants. In turn, the oxygen emitted by plants is consumed by fish and other aquatic organisms, which eliminates the need for mechanical aeration of the aquarium on a light day. – in addition, when CO2 is supplied in the aquarium, the pH level decreases. What to like virtually all plants and some soft-water fish.
Cautions and dangers of CO2 in an aquarium.
If you decide to purchase a CO2 system for an aquarium, then you should understand that after installing it, you will have to monitor the aquarium more carefully: you will need to control CO2 levels with tests or a drop checker, control pH levels, adjust lighting, ensure proper feeding of plants fertilizers, etc. If this is not done, then problems will arise due to the unrelated work of photosynthesis: strangulation of fish, turbidity of water, algal flash and other troubles are possible. Keep in mind that even the most innocuous homemade CO2 system of the type of brew can harm the aquarium. Therefore, weigh everything carefully and wisely approach the issue of installing CO2 for your aquarium.
Growing aquarium plants – is a comprehensive event.
The formula for their successful content is in the balance:
At the same time, the loss of at least one element of the above formula entails the poor state of the plants. As well as various negative consequences for the aquarium as a whole.
References are given to each element of the formula, below briefly:
LIGHTING. Whatever the concentration of CO2 in the aquarium, without illumination, carbon dioxide will not enter the process of photosynthesis. Only the balance of lighting and CO2 has a beneficial effect on plants.
FERTILIZER. Plants are vital macro and microelements. Macro fertilizers (NPK) – nitrate (NO3), phosphate (P / PO4), potassium (K). Micro fertilizers – Fe, K, Mg, Mn, Cu, Zn, Mo, B, Co, etc. WATER PARAMETERS. Most plants love soft, slightly acidic water. More precisely, in such water the best absorption of fertilizers by plants occurs. For beginner aquarists, here is another basic material on plants: AQUARIUM PLANTS FOR BEGINNERS. We consider it necessary to complete the presentation of the foundations. We think that you have added your impression of the need for CO2 in the aquarium.
Methods of supplying CO2 to the aquarium.
There are three ways to supply carbon dioxide to an aquarium:
– liquefied gas cylinders;
An article on this subject is here. In short, the balloon method is the best option. Initially, the CO2 balloon system is expensive. But then it pays back itself with interest, because they serve for a long time, and refilling cylinders costs a penny. Sugar, yeast, soda, etc. cost many times more =)
CO2 balloon system
Carbon preparations. These drugs include, for example, Tetra CO2 Plus – saturates water with carbon in a form that is easily absorbed by plants.
The system of fermentation. So we got to her.
In our opinion, this is the most interesting way to supply carbon dioxide for a novice aquarist. You can make a mash yourself and see how it will work, grow your first herbalist on it. And only then decide on the cylinders and aquascape =). This method has two drawbacks: – suitable for small aquariums up to 100 liters; – in the mash it is not possible to regulate the flow of gas and shut it off at night; However, to capture the volume of an aquarium of 200 liters, you can put two mash. And regarding the second item, you can take out the CO2 sprayer and the hose from the aquarium at night. It is worth noting that with such a CO2 supply system it is difficult to repopulate the aquarium with carbon dioxide. She is weak. In addition, you always watch the aquarium and in the event something can stop the process. There are a great number of carbon units of CO2, they all sparkle with innovation and simplicity. There are even more recipes, ingredients for the fermentation system. For example, CO2 installation on citric acid. In this material, we offer you a step-by-step instruction on the CO2 system for the aquarium, which you can do with your own hands. Such an installation does not require you special knowledge and effort, any specific details and cost a penny. Partly for this reason, we recommend it to newcomers. IT’S SO, THERE IS A LIST OF WHAT NEEDS.
A two-liter plastic bottle of mineral water. Used as a main container for the mash. It is better to use a transparent bottle, so you will see the process and in case of something in time to react.
A liter bottle of juice with a wide neck. It is used as a kind of filter so that the accompanying swaddling bjaka does not get into the aquarium. Such a prefilter is required! Otherwise ruin the fish.
A bottle of sports water, or rather a cap from it. It will be needed to block the mash and create a gas bubble counter. Not necessarily, you can do without a counter.
The syringe is five-cubic. Used as a bubble counter.
Dropper. Sold in any pharmacy. Need as a hose for the CO2 system.
Silicone aquarium or building. Needed to seal the unit.
Backpressure valve 1pc., Can be 2pcs. Sold in any department of aquarium, designed to block the mash, and also to ensure that water from the aquarium does not flow into the system or on the floor.
Spray. Kameshkovy, "CO2 bell" and other sprayers.
Tube or hose aquarium.
It is slightly thicker than dropper hoses, it may be necessary.
Suckers To attach shlag submission of CO2 in the aquarium.
In total, the cost of the CO2 carbon system will be about 7-8.
STEP BY STEP CO2 ASSEMBLY FOR AQUARIUM.
Note: you can do without a bubble counter. And connect the dropper tube directly to the lid of the 2 liter bottle, strongly seize the joint.
We take a drip. Disconnect the adapter. Immediately can be removed from the dropper supply controller. He will not need. So, if you block it, the mash will burst.
Disconnected perkhodnichok leave. We make a hole under it in the lid from under the "Biola". Insert the adapter into the cover. TRANSFER TO BRAGS FOR RECIPES FOR THE AQUARIUM
Reaction and CO2 will go in about 8-12 hours. If up to 24 hours the gas does not go, then something is wrong – either the system is poisoning, the reactants are low, or the temperature is below 20-22 degrees. Check the tightness of the installation, add sugar and yeast, put the mash in a warm place (on the central heating battery).
Now, before giving the other recipes, let’s briefly discuss all the ingredients for the mash. To earn the need for braga sugar, yeast and water. Everything else is innovation and additional components. SUGAR. You can use any, but they say that the cane is the best. The more sugar there is, the more yeast will have something to eat. The stronger the reaction will be. YEAST. There are bread (dry and "wet"), you can use those and those! Almost no difference. Recommended dry. There are also beer and fodder yeast. For co2 systems recommend beer. WATER. We need a clean so that yeast does not fight with other competing cultures, bleach and other impurities. Other elements: Soda is needed to neutralize acids. Makes the mash more alkaline, which prolongs its viability. Soda can not be used – this is an additional element. Food for fish and fertilizer for plants. They participate in the fermentation process, stimulating it and feeding on yeast fungi. Slices of bread – also improves the fermentation process. Their number is individual. You can also throw raisins, apricots, pieces of fruit and so on into the mash.
AFTER HAVE DRAWN IT, IT IS RECOMMENDED TO DRAIN 2/3. THE REMAINING PART HAS BEEN DONE WITH NEW INGREDIENTS AND FRESH WATER. PERIODICALLY CAN BE FULLY MERGE ANY ENTRANCE AND DO ALL ON NEW.
Other CO2 recipes for beer.
Sugar – 40 tablespoons; Starch – 16 tablespoons; Soda – 13 tablespoons; Water – 2 liters; All ingredients are cooked in a saucepan until thickened. After it is cooled and poured into a five liter container, add 1 tablespoon of dissolved yeast to a glass of water. Performance 3 months.
Sugar -150 grams; 1 teaspoon yeast; 2 teaspoons of soda; 2 tablespoons of flour; 1.5 liters of water; 2 l. bottle; Efficiency 1-1.5 weeks.
10 gr. citric acid; 10 gr. drinking soda; The ingredients are mixed in a dry state, poured into a moist (without water) bragotar. Tara sealed. Works 6-10 hours (for the whole daylight hours).
On a two-liter bottle: Sugar 3 cups; 30 grams of gelatin; 1n l. water; 1 tbsp. drinking soda; 1 tsp of yeast; Gelatin is soaked for one hour in 0.5 liters. water. Then add another 0.5 liters of water, add sugar, soda. Heat over low heat until completely dissolved. After cooling, the "jelly" is poured into bragohra, dissolved yeast is added on top (without stirring). Efficiency 2-4 weeks.
5 tbsp. spoons of sugar; 2 tbsp. spoons of starch; 1 tbsp. spoon of soda; ? liter of water; 1 tsp of yeast; Dissolve sugar, soda and starch in water. Put in a water bath until thick. Next, pour over the yeast, dissolved in a glass of water. Efficiency 2-4 weeks or more, if you put more starch.
Lastly a CO2 sprayer for an aquarium.
CO2 ladder – a good option for the mash.
On the results of the supply of CO2.
– after supplying CO2 and with proper lighting, aquarium plants should begin to bubble with oxygen. Or how else they say – there is a perling of plants. Observed active growth of plants. – Fish should feel great. In case of deterioration of health, CO2 off. Strengthen the flow and aeration. Peroxide can be used. – the appearance of algae is a sign of an excess of CO2. It is necessary to reduce the supply of carbon dioxide. Or increase the volume of plants. – How to make sure the normal concentration of CO2. Make a pH test in the morning before turning on the light and the second in the evening. Compare the results and decide whether everything is normal. And it is better to get a drop checker, which was written above.
We recommend also to read:
co2 for aquarium do it yourself: photo, video, description
If live green plants live in an aquarium with fish, then, besides oxygen, it periodically needs to be supplied with carbon dioxide. Not everyone knows this, although it is the elementary laws of aquaristics. Green plants in water need carbon dioxide. It is necessary for photosynthesis.
For submission to the aquarium CO2 there are special installation. Assembling a CO2 device for an aquarium with your own hands is possible. But it is necessary to find out in more detail what kind of gas it is and why CO2 in an aquarium with fish.
CO2 is an important element for the plant world
Half of the plants is carbon. Therefore, carbon dioxide in the aquarium is needed above all by them. It gives the necessary carbon for plants. In usual reservoirs the level of gas reaches 40mg / l. But an aquarium is a closed tank where oxygen is constantly flowing. And, despite the fact that when breathing animals emit gas, its quantity is not enough for the life of the greenery. They consume CO2 as a result of photosynthesis – a process that, as a result of which, under the influence of sunlight, water and carbon dioxide turn into glucose, a source of energy.
Following from this we can say that CO2:
- main carbon source;
- building material for living plants, they quickly grow, become strong, beautiful.
- thanks to photosynthesis, plants produce oxygen. It is consumed by all aquarium animals. Due to this, it is possible to reduce the oxygen supply to the tank during the day.
- gas decreases the level of acidity in water. This has a beneficial effect on the life of greenery and many inhabitants of the aquarium.
When installing a CO2 generator in an aquarium, keep in mind that in addition to the positive sides there are also disadvantages of using, care of the tank should be more thorough. If you do a CO2 system with your own hands:
- Watch for carbon dioxide levels. To do this, use special tests.
- Control the level of acidity. Most plants and animals love soft water. The first in such an environment better absorb fertilizer.
- Adjust the lighting. This is an important point for the photosynthesis process. Even if the level of carbon dioxide in the water is sufficient, the process will not start without sunlight.
- Feed aquarium greens with fertilizers. For life, they need trace elements.
If you ignore the rate of these indicators, homemade will lead to a failure in the process of photosynthesis. Because of this, the fish will suffocate, the water will become turbid, an algal outbreak will occur. Therefore, when installing CO2 in the aquarium, remember that even the simplest and most harmless system, if used improperly, can harm the inhabitants of the reservoir.
Create a do-it-yourself installation
For an CO2 unit in an aquarium, you will need:
- colorless plastic bottle of 2 liters. It serves as the basis for the fermentation process.
- plastic bottle with a wide neck. Performs filter function in the installation.
- medical syringe with a volume of 5 cubes. It counts the number of bubbles.
- dropper, or rather – a hose from her. It combines elements of the system in one installation.
- sealed base, for example, aquarium silicone.
- back pressure valve;
- hose or tube;
- special clamps for them in the form of suckers;
- the sprayer is not an important but desirable element of the installation.
When the parts are prepared, the CO2 supply system in the aquarium is assembled using the following scheme:
- Take the bottle cap and use a stationery knife or sharp scissors to remove all partitions from it.
- Remove the plunger from the syringe. Cut the lower part. Place a back pressure valve in the device. Blow to experience permeability.
- Connect syringe with bottle cap. Emerge voids pass impermeable means. Pour water into this device. CO2 bubble counter with your hands ready.
- Next, connect it with a large plastic bottle.
- Remove the adapter and feed regulator from the dropper. Take the cap from the second bottle and make an opening in it for the adapter.
- Use another needle next to the first one.
- Connect a hose to the adapter at the bottom of the cap. Smear with silicone. Fill the CO2 generator with water.
- Next, the installation is connected with the help of hoses as follows: from a two-liter bottle the end should be connected to the valve cap, from the needle to the aquarium.
A simple scheme will help to quickly build a plant for supplying CO2.
Compositions for installation
After the self-made CO2 system is ready, prepare a special composition that works on the basis of fermentation. As a result of the process and carbon dioxide is released.
Here are some suitable recipes that the CO2 system works for in an aquarium:
- The first recipe, how to make carbon dioxide at home, works on the basis of fish feed with soda. Preparing a mixture for supplying carbon dioxide to the aquarium as follows: a large bottle of sugar is poured, a pinch of baking soda, half a teaspoon of crushed fish food, a small bread slice is added (2 pieces can be replaced with dried apricots or raisins), yeast is the most important ingredient. Both dry and “live” are suitable. After that, water is poured into the bottle, boiled in advance and cooled to a warm state. Do not pour under the very neck, leave a gap of 5 cm. Close the self-made CO2 generator tightly. Immerse the system in the aquarium. The CO2 supply will start in 10 hours. If carbon dioxide does not go within a day, then the tightness of the system is broken. If this is all right, add some more yeast and sugar to the bottle. The recipe works for several weeks. After that, the composition must be drained, leaving only a third and fill with a new mixture.
- Another recipe includes the following ingredients: 1 liter of water, 20 tablespoons of sugar, 6.5 tablespoons of baking soda, 8 tablespoons of starch. Everything is mixed and cooked until the mixture thickens. After that, it must be cooled and poured into a bottle for the fermentation process. Carbon dioxide is released over 3 months.
- A simple recipe for CO2 will help maintain the gas level in the tank for 2 weeks. You can make it as follows: take half a liter of water, add the yeast at the tip of a knife, half a cup of sugar, a spoonful of soda and flour. All mix thoroughly and pour into the bottle.
- Take 30 g of gelatin and fill it with 500 ml of water. Leave to swell for 40 minutes. After that add to gelatin another 500 ml of water, 3 cups of sugar, a spoon of baking soda. Put on low heat and heat until all the ingredients have dissolved. Pour the mixture into fermentation containers and add half a spoonful of dry yeast. Close the lid without disturbing. The mixture works for a month.
- The fermentation process occurs in mixtures with citric acid. It will help to create CO2 in the aquarium citric acid and soda. The recipe is as follows: 10 g of citric acid is mixed with the same amount of soda. Everything is thoroughly mixed. The fermentation bottle is treated with warm water, and the mixture is poured into a wet container. The lid is sealed. CO2 in the aquarium citric acid and soda delivers throughout the daylight hours.
Amount of CO2 supplied
How much CO2 is supplied to an aquarium depends on its volume, the number of plants and fish. The shortage or excess of supplied gas can be judged by the state of the inhabitants of the reservoir:
- With the right concentration after 7 days, the plants will be covered with oxygen bubbles.
- Fish will be active, healthy. If you notice any deterioration, deposit them in another container with clean, defended water in advance. Stop supplying CO2 to the tank. Fish can be returned within a few hours, a carbon dioxide generator in a few days.
- The appearance of algae also indicates an excess of CO2 concentration.
- The level of acidity of water has decreased, gas is more than necessary. In this case, add baking soda to the aquarium, a teaspoonful of 50 liters.
- The surest way to check how a manufactured generator works is to make a test using special indicators.
Simple installation, made by hand, with simple recipes will allow for a long time to provide the aquarium with carbon dioxide.
A CO2 video for the aquarium
Non-return valve at home
First of all, let’s see a video on making a homemade valve:
To make a non-return valve, we need: – a threaded nipple for 15; – a plumbing hose for toilet bowls with two fittings; – a 3 mm bolt 4-5 cm long; – two nuts; – a piece of rubber from a car chamber.
We start the manufacture of a check valve with its main part. For this we need our bolt and a piece of rubber. Cut a rubber gasket from the rubber and make a hole in the middle in order to pass a bolt through it.
Next, take a rectangular piece of iron of a small size, drill a hole with a diameter slightly larger than a bolt.
We put on the bolt alternately a piece of iron, a nut, a washer, a piece of rubber and a guide.
Next, take the threaded nozzle and make it cut to the size of the iron rectangle so that it fits tightly in its place.
The blanks are ready, which means that you can proceed with the assembly of the check valve.
With the assembly of the main part of the valve, everything is clear, since we have done this part above. After that, we insert this part into the threaded fitting so that the gum slightly extends from the bottom of the fitting. If necessary, you can adjust the length by tightening or unscrewing the nut on the bolt.
At the bottom of the nozzle tighten the second nut with the second fitting. Here the author gives preference to the fitting, which is used on gas pipes in homes.
From above, the author winds up a small crane, but this is not necessary. The small screw can be freely replaced by a regular nut, however, you should pay attention to the fact that the diameter of the upper hole of the nut is less than the diameter of the fitting to fix the iron rectangle.
Such a valve can be used in the manufacture of a vacuum chamber, which we will talk about in the near future.
Become the author of the site, publish your own articles, descriptions of home-made with pay per text. Read more here.
do-it-yourself air pump for aquarium: how to make and install
Many have an aquarium with fish, it’s so nice to admire them. But after all, the fish also need care, as well as other living creatures. For their comfortable living, it is necessary to provide all the conditions that will most closely resemble their natural habitat. There are many attributes for this, one of them is a water pump or an aerator.
air pump for aquarium
Thing essentials for the aquarium. It allows water to be saturated with the necessary amount of oxygen. A water pump, producing small bubbles that rise up, allows the water in the aquarium to be enriched with oxygen.
It should be remembered that if the aquarium has a large volume, then one water pump will be small, because it is necessary to provide all of the water completely with oxygen, and not partially. In addition, preference should be given to silent water pumps so as not to cause unnecessary irritation. Economical owners of fish can easily make an air pump for an aquarium with their own hands.
Making a water pump at home
To make an airbrush at home, you must have:
- Small electric motor
There are several methods for making a homemade water pump for an aquarium.
Take an electric motor, it is recommended to take with a power of up to twelve W (in the case of a long power outage, such an engine can be connected to a car battery), and connect it to the power supply. The eccentric is attached to the surface of this engine, setting a small pump in motion. This method allows you to make a silent air pump for the aquarium.
If the noise is not the principal point, then you can apply another method of manufacturing a water pump. In addition to the past elements, an electric magnet will be needed. A small magnetic starter, which will operate at a frequency of 50 Hz from 220 W voltage, can play the role of an electromagnet. You need to attach a small pump to the magnetic starter and the membrane of this pump will move with the same frequency of 50 Hz from side to side. Thus, the movement of the pump allows you to pump air, thereby enriching the aquarium water with oxygen.
For the most part, aquariums are always located in rooms where people spend most of their time. And therefore it should be remembered that the quality of the aerator for the aquarium should not be neglected, since its work is round-the-clock and the load on it is not small. If you made a water pump that makes excessive noise, such as with an electromagnet, then you should consider placing it in a closed space (for example, in a long duct). Also, an aerator for an aquarium can be placed in a box from an old film or a wooden box, which will help reduce the sound level and reduce the force of the shock wave.
Beginners should be aware that an aerator that was made with their own hands should create a moderate supply of oxygen to the aquarium water. And for this you should calculate in advance the power of the engine used. And as mentioned earlier, you should use a water pump with a power not exceeding 12 watts.
But the owners of the round-shaped aquarium need to know that very powerful equipment in such an aquarium has a very negative effect on the vital activity of the fish. All this is due to the fact that the circulation of water will be very fast.
It is also necessary to remember the fact that when placing a large number of plants in the “house” for fish, it is not at all necessary to turn on the water pump during the daytime. In the daytime, the oxygen supply will be carried out by the plants, but at night they themselves will absorb it on a par with the fish and therefore the presence of a water pump will be a necessary attribute. It will be necessary to install a non-return valve on the tube that goes towards the sprayer, so that when the device is disconnected due to the return thrust, the water is not poured into the aerator.
How to install a water pump in the aquarium
After you have made an aerator with your own hands, you need to go to the installation stage. Installing it is actually not a difficult task, and is easily performed even by a non-professional in this matter. Of course, the initial stage will be the determination of the location of the water pump. It can be placed near the aquarium, while placing it in any box, for example, and inside the aquarium, but without touching the water.
It is recommended that hoses and sprays be fixed at the bottom with objects that will not allow them to float. Since in this case, the saturation of water with oxygen will be much worse. There are two types of material that are recommended for use with hoses connected to a water pump:
If any part of the hose hardens, it must be replaced with a new one. For a better habitat of fish in the aquarium should use special hoses for aquarium.
Rate this article: Share with your friends!
Siphon for aquarium do it yourself
Every aquarist knows that not only water but also soil needs cleaning the aquarium. In order to eliminate all accumulated garbage from sand or stones, use a special device – a siphon for cleaning aquariums. With it, you can easily remove the remnants of uneaten food, rotting algae particles and waste products of all underwater inhabitants. This cleaning is very useful, because it prevents the acidification of the soil, the formation of harmful hydrogen sulfide and ammonia in it.
When siphons for cleaning aquariums did not exist, the soil had to be removed, washed, and then poured back into place. However, this procedure had an adverse effect on the vital activity of beneficial bacteria in water. Now this problem is solved.
Considering how the siphon for the aquarium works, it will not be too difficult to clean up the home underwater kingdom. It is enough to immerse the hose in the ground and blow into the tube. On the reverse of the return, all the garbage along with the water is poured into a vessel placed at the other end of the hose. At this time, the soil rises up to half of the wide pipe, and then safely sinks to the bottom.
The design of such a device is quite simple. In the original, it is a conventional hose to which a wide tube is attached at the end. Many are trying to improve the model, and for convenience they attach an ordinary medical bulb to the edge of the hose, so that it does not have to blow into it, but it was enough to squeeze the bulb only several times. However, the effectiveness of this does not increase.
The most important element in the assembly of a siphon for an aquarium is a hose. For a capacity of 100 liters, fit a tube with a diameter of 10 mm. If you use a thicker, then during the "cleaning" you can not notice how much of the water will pour into the bucket before you clean the bottom. To protect you from such troubles in our master class, we will show you how to make a 50 l siphon for an aquarium out of items that everyone probably has in the house. For this we need:
- hose diameter of 5 mm – 1 m;
- plastic water bottle – 1 pc;
- 10 dice syringe – 2 pcs;
- insulating tape;
- brass hose outlet – 1 pc;
Making a siphon for the aquarium with your own hands
- First we take the syringes, remove the piston from them and remove the needle.
- Use a knife on both sides to cut off all the projections from a single syringe to form a tube.
- We take the second syringe and cut only the part into which the piston entered with a knife. In the place where the needle was attached, cut a hole with a diameter of 5 mm.
- The resulting tubes are joined together into one using electrical tape. In this part of the syringe with a hole should be outside.
- Insert the hose into the same hole.
- We take a plastic bottle and cut a 4.5 mm thick hole in the cap.
- Insert the brass outlet under the hose into the hole.
- Connect the other end of the hose to the brass outlet.
- Our homemade siphon for aquarium ready.
In order for our device to work, it is enough to immerse the wide end of the hose in the ground and squeeze the bottle. When the return traction appears, the garbage from the bottom will rise up through the hose, the bottle can be unscrewed from the cap, the end of the hose lowered into the bucket, and voila, a self-made siphon for the aquarium has come into action. After such cleansing, the amount of water that has spilled with the garbage must be replenished fresh.